Beautiful Red

Our journey to adopt Xiu Dan from Zhangshuo, Jiangxi Province, China.

Friday, May 19, 2006

Wrapping it up

Well, our last day in China has been relaxing so far. It's a beautiful day on Shamian Island, sunny and about 80 degrees. After breakfast, Xiu Dan took a brief nap, and then we hit the pool. The water was a bit cold for Kori, Xiu Dan and I, but Chien and Pak jumped right in. We dipped our toes at the kiddie pool, and spent about two hours chatting with other families who are also in China to adopt kids.

We had a nice lunch at a restaurant we'd visited earlier in the week. We worked a little bit with Xiu Dan on the hand sign for "more." Her usual manner of banging her hands and shrieking when we're not feeding her fast enough wasn't working out so well for us. The girl loves to eat, and has found very few things she won't happily gobble. After lunch, we hit a coffee shop for cappucinos and mango shakes.

After picking up a few more souvenirs, we returned to the hotel, exhausted from all of our hard work. Xiu Dan crashed pretty quickly, the boys watched some X-Games skateboarding competition on the tube, and Kori and I dozed briefly. It's 4:35 p.m., which means that we'll be getting up in 12 hours: very, very morning for the McCollum clan.

The end of our trip has left me with mixed emotions. I'm thrilled to be returning to friends and family; it's time for us to start our lives together in Columbus. But I feel a twinge of regret. We're taking Xiu Dan away from China. She's losing something of her identity, and no matter how hard we try, she'll never really have a good chance to learn Mandarin or feel completely 'Chinese.' I remember being misty-eyed when as our plane took off with Chien from Vietnam.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to sleeping in my own bed and eating at my own table after a month on the run. Living out of suitcases can be fun, but only for a while. Unfortunately, I'm going to be massively jet-lagged and absolutely beat for my monday morning presentation. Yeah, that's right. I have a major presentation on monday at 10am. I usually love presenting, and I genuinely like the client, but I'm afraid I might not be at the top of my game. Oh, well. We'll see.

Kori and I put together a list of China-related topics I should address. I don't know if I'll have time, but I promise I'll try to post my thoughts on everything from traffic to manners to urban planning shortly after I return. In short, I've loved this trip, and I love China. I love the way my boys -- and girls -- have travelled. Very few breakdowns and many, many wonderful moments. Thanks for all of your prayers. We'll see you all soon.

Speaking of seeing you soon, our plane arrives on NW 1691 from Detroit at 4:22pm Saturday. You're welcome to meet us there if you wish, and/or show up at our house for a few minutes afterward. I promise we'll be happy to see you, but I can't promise we'll be very engaging hosts; I doubt I'll feel like cooking, and I may fall asleep immediately upon arrival. You can open up a bottle and toast us if you can hear over the snoring. Otherwise, you can all see Xiu Dan at Central Vineyard (meeting at Calumet Christian School) on Sunday morning at 10am. We may sleep through the entire service, but we wouldn't miss it for the world!

4 Comments:

  • At 5/19/2006 08:45:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Welcome back.

    Look forward to meeting your daughter and see all of you on Sunday.

    Love.
    Carolyn

     
  • At 5/19/2006 02:59:00 PM, Blogger Karen said…

    have a safe flight. i will pray that xiu dan will be calm and cheerful the entire time!

    i won't get to see you guys at the airport but i will be THRILLED to see you at church!!!

    god bless you guys!

     
  • At 5/23/2006 11:35:00 AM, Blogger Sarah Sweigard said…

    iwish i could come see your beautiful DAUGHTER in person. can't wait :) thanks for sharing your travels with us! praying for you

     
  • At 1/18/2007 05:42:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello -- I should have posted a comment long ago.... you may not even look at your website any more! I just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed your blog and especially the incredible artistic photos... clearly you are a talented photographer/designer! I am also a client of Harrah's, and going for my first daughter. My LID is 11-30-05 -- HOPING to have my Referral in May or June of '07... It feels like it's taking forever! I shared your website with my family members (3 siblings) who will be going with me to China - I knew they would love and appreciate the photos -- and they did! Also, Xiu Dan is beautiful, of course. I especially love the photo of her working that tongue on the toilet seat when attempting to do her "business!" --adorable! You have a lovely family. Thanks for sharing.

    May J.
    Charlotte, NC
    mrgracie@yahoo.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home