Beautiful Red

Our journey to adopt Xiu Dan from Zhangshuo, Jiangxi Province, China.

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Thoughts from Nanchang. From Kori.

The boys just left to have some big boy fun. They have been cooped up in the hotel room doing baby things for several days now, so I took them to the play room at the hotel so they could wrestle and throw balls and run around and now John is taking them out to see the city lights on the 20th floor and to a nearby coffee shop for a drink and card game. Xiu Dan is asleep. She ran around with us today and didn't get all of her afternoon nap so she was tired. I thought I would write some of my thoughts from Nanchang.

When I think of Nanchang I think of the worst sore throat I have ever had and of my daughter. Both very memorable. The sore throat felt like knives stabbing my throat repeatedly every time I swallowed or even breathed. I could not eat much and drinking even water hurt. I was taking an antibiotic in case it was strep and all the Motrin I was allowed. But after 5 days it has finally subsided. It is just a little sore now and I have a runny nose but I am feeling much better. 

All that clouded the first few days with Xiu Dan. She was definitely very bonded to her foster mother for the first 6 months of her life and then her nanny and the orphanage director for the last 5 months. She grieved and grieved. It was terrible. She would push me away and cry whenever I got near. I had visions of her never letting me close, now being sick did not help the emotions either. But after 3 days she finally began to bond to me too. Now she wants both me and John the same. She is so much happier now too. 

It is really neat to see her personality begin to come out. She is silly. She likes to make faces, stick her tongue out, and make noises like vibrating her lips or clucking her tongue. She loves to play. We brought these stacking cups and she loves them. She bangs them, puts them inside each other, and stacks them up. She sits in one place to play. My boys were always on the move. They never sat still for more than 2 minutes at a time and always needed a new activity. She is quite content to sit and play with the same toy for 30 minutes or so with very little interaction from anyone. She loves her brothers. She just sits and watches them. She waves her arms at them and kisses them. They have been so sweet with her too. They play with her and get her to laugh. She loves to cuddle. She always wants to be close to us. She loves to have us hold her and she hugs and kisses so much. She really seems to enjoy the hip carrier we have too. She likes how close it holds her to us. She loves her blanket. She is a girl after my own heart. She likes to rub her blanket up to her lips and mouth. Some times she sucks on it and other times she just rubs it on her mouth. I used to do this when I was little. She is happy. She always has a smile. She is stubborn. She wants what she wants and she wants it NOW! But that is being a baby. She is verbal. She loves to make sounds. She says ma ma and da da and ba and ak and nnn and aaaaaaa. Not really to or about anyone but it is a start. She loves the water. Baths are so much fun for her. We haven't done the pool yet (the one here is not heated and even Chien says it is cold) but I am sure she will love it. She loves to look at her self in the mirror (she makes faces). She loves looking at the computer. She is a very deep sleeper. Once she is asleep she can sleep through anything. I am in love with her.

My boys are wonderful. They have worked so hard on school work lately. They are more helpful with Xiu Dan than I thought they would be. They love to hold her and get things for her. They truly love her and feel that she is an important part of our family. They could do without all the crying, though. So many people have commented at how great the boys are and how well behaved they are. They have been very flexible and willing to go everywhere we have had to go and do all the boring things.They are enjoying seeing all the new things and experiencing China. They haven't complained once. They are so fun to be around. I love them so very much. They are the best boys in the world.

My husband is wonderful. He is the best dad ever. He loves to play with the boys and with Xiu Dan. He loves to experience new things with them. He loves to talk with them. He loves to dream with them. He changes diapers (more than I have). He will bathe the kids. He will hold them and ease their fears. He will wrestle with them. He will read to them and put them to bed. He is silly with them. He loves them so much.

Tomorrow is mother's day. My first with 3 kids. the best 3 kids in the world. I am getting tea in bed and a mango drink at a cafe later in the day. Who could ask for anything more?


7 Comments:

  • At 5/13/2006 08:18:00 AM, Blogger chelsea said…

    happy mother's day kori. you are an inspiration to all of us. what a sweet post.

     
  • At 5/13/2006 08:47:00 AM, Blogger Andy W. Anderson, Ph.D Candidate said…

    I love it when you write Kori! I feel like we hear a lot from John, but it's always a treat to hear from you too :) We miss you! I'm so happy you're in love with your little girl! She looks and sounds amazing! yay for mothers day!!!

    We can't wait to meet her!

    Amanda and Andy

     
  • At 5/13/2006 10:07:00 AM, Blogger Karen said…

    i am so happy to hear your thoughts on sweet little xiu dan!!! you brought me to tears. to hear you say that you are in love with her and that she is bonding to you and about the blanket... all of that is so absolutely wonderful to hear!

    she likes the hip carrier! yay! i'm really glad. :)

    kori, i miss you! i miss seeing you on sundays and on wednesdays. but also? the next time we hang out you will have a baby girl to bring with you and HOW FUN IS THAT! of course, now we'll have to work around HER naptime too. which is perfectly fine with me.

    happy mother's day. what a wonderful time for you guys to celebrate it. you have great kids, a great husband, and you are a absolutely wonderful mother. i'm so glad you're my friend. god bless you!

    love,
    karen

     
  • At 5/13/2006 01:25:00 PM, Blogger e said…

    kori--thanks for writing! we're so excited for you guys!
    (e&B&G&?)

     
  • At 5/15/2006 06:51:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Kori,

    Wow!
    What a treat to hear your mother's heart! I am so in awe of a Father who had this planned from the begginning of time. He pulled this family together from all around and made one unit that functions in every way that he planned for a family to function. Wow!
    Have a wonderful time making memories. We'll see you soon.

    Linda Hall

     
  • At 5/15/2006 12:39:00 PM, Blogger mosiacmind said…

    Hi Kori...we do not know each other but I do read the blogs and have during this whole blog of your travels to adopt your little girl and even before have wanted to write to John and you and have not and then with what you wrote and with yesterday being Mother's Day I decided to..........It was a different situation then with your 3 children yet I wanted to say thank you for people like yourselves who adopt children. I an a birth mom and long story and not important now but I do thank God for the family who was willing to adopt my daughter 19 years ago and willing to take her as it ( we were not sure if she would have some medical problems and/or mental disabilities) and she did not thank God but getting back to you and your husband I truly have a very special place in my heart for families like yours. God bless you and yours........and I am so glad that you are feeling better. I am enjoying the sweet pictures of everyone. I am so glad that you are feeling better! I think of Nicole everyday yet everyday I am grateful for the plan God put together for her. I am thankful for you all for the plans God put together for your family.

     
  • At 5/15/2006 12:40:00 PM, Blogger mosiacmind said…

    Oops I meant to leave my name on the post from Mosaic Mind my name is Liz

     

Post a Comment

<< Home